Are you an Indigo adult?

March 19, 2011 · 28 comments

A few months ago, a friend of mine suggested to me that I might be an Indigo. “Eh? What’s that?” I thought to myself, and then, like everything that comes into my life that I don’t know about, I Google it to learn what it is. What I discovered about Indigos intrigued me. I felt that it answered a lot of questions, but it also raised even more.

So what is an Indigo Adult?

Because I’m still trying to work that out myself, I think the best thing I can do is just use this quote I found on the internet:

Some people say that the purpose of all Indigo adults is to raise the vibration of the planet – this is mostly true, they are not here to cower in fear or to do nothing at all. They are here to improve this planet for everyone, in some way. But often where Indigo adults have a problem is in finding out exactly how they can improve the planet. Every cell in an organism serves a function, and as an Indigo cell, you are not like every other Indigo cell. You possess the same molecular structure, but your function is different. The eye cell doesn’t do the same thing as the hair cell. Both are needed, both are loved, respected and accepted for what they are, but they do not have the same traits and abilities. They don’t do the same thing.

So what is your purpose as an Indigo adult? You have to find it yourself.

Yeh, that’s great. Thanks….

How do you know if you’re an Indigo?

Well, if you can relate to most of the following, or even all of them, then it’s likely that you are an Indigo:

1. Are intelligent, though may not have had top grades.
  2. Are very creative and enjoy making things.
  3. Always need to know WHY, especially why they are being asked to do something.
  4. Had disgust and perhaps loathing for much of the required and repetitious work in school.
  5. Were rebellious in school in that they refused to do homework and rejected authority of teachers, OR seriously wanted to rebel, but didn’t DARE, usually due to parental pressure.
  6. May have experienced early existential depression and feelings of helplessness. These may have ranged from sadness to utter despair. Suicidal feelings while still in high school or younger are not uncommon in the Indigo Adult.
  7. Have difficulty in service-oriented jobs. Indigos resist authority and caste system of employment.
  8. Prefer leadership positions or working alone to team positions.
  9. Have deep empathy for others, yet an intolerance of stupidity.
  10. May be extremely emotionally sensitive including crying at the drop of a hat (no shielding) Or may be the opposite and show no expression of emotion (full shielding).
  11. May have trouble with RAGE.
  12. Have trouble with systems they consider broken or ineffective, ie. political, educational, medical, and legal.
  13. Alienation from or anger with politics – feeling your voice won’t count and/or that the outcome really doesn’t matter.
  14. Frustration with or rejection of the traditional American dream – 9-5 career, marriage, 2.5 children, house with white picket fence, etc.
  15. Anger at rights being taken away, fear and/or fury at “Big Brother watching you.”
  16. Have a burning desire to do something to change and improve the world. May be stymied what to do. May have trouble identifying their path.
  17. Have psychic or spiritual interest appear fairly young – in or before teen years.
  18. Had few if any Indigo role models. Having had some doesn’t mean you’re not an indigo, though.
  19. Have strong intuition.
  20. Random behavior pattern or mind style – (symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder). May have trouble focusing on assigned tasks, may jump around in conversations.
  21. Have had psychic experiences, such as premonitions, seeing angels or ghosts, out of body experiences, hearing voices.
  22. May be electrically sensitive such as watches not working and street lights going out as you move under them, electrical equipment malfunctioning and lights blowing out.
  23. May have awareness of other dimensions and parallel realities.
  24. Sexually are very expressive and inventive OR may reject sexuality in boredom or with intention of achieving higher spiritual connection. May explore alternative types of sexuality.
  25. Seek meaning to their life and understanding about the world May seek this through religion or spirituality, spiritual groups and books, self-help groups and books.
  26. When they find balance they may become very strong, healthy, happy individuals.

Now, the only one I don’t relate to in the above list is #22, but I’ve often thought it would be pretty cool if street lights blew behind me as I walked along…. although that would probably really freak me out, so it’s probably a good thing that doesn’t happen!

Do you think you’re an Indigo Adult?

If you relate to most of the 26 traits in the above list, I’d really love to hear from you, either in a reply or by email. I’d like to get to know more Indigo Adults out there.

Update 28 May 2013: This blog is no longer active. If you would like to add a  comment, please add it over here: Are you an Indigo Adult? where it’s been republished. I would love to have you continue the discussion over there. Thank you!

{ 28 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Estera B March 20, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Street lights go out when I drive under them and sometimes they even come on.
I drain electrical devices and everytime I go to comment in facebook my computer locks up.
I can pick up on other peoples emotions and sense “invisible” people.
We all have the potential to change the world regardless of what catagory we fit into.
I am still me even if I am an Indigo Adult or not!!

2 Cynthia August 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I’ve felt different my whole life and people has told me, since very little, that I’m a very old soul trapped in a young body (I’m 25 years old currently). I’m extremely sensitive, I get hurt very easily, can tell when someone is lying to me most of the times and I get really really uncomfortable when people have negative feelings around me. I also feel very connected to nature and animals, I used to say I was an Earth spirit or something like that before I knew about Indigo children or adults. I dream things that happen years after… Nothing important, just an action or a place that I can trace back to the dream with no doubts. And since I became an “adult” (around 18 years old, deciding what to do with my life) I’ve been in a constant life crisis that keeps getting worst… I don’t know what to do with my life, I’m not happy at all with any kind of regular jobs, and it has gotten worst and worst. I’d sometimes like to life in a cabin deep into a forest with someone to love, a huge garden and pets. So yes, I feel different!!! 🙂

3 annie September 9, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Cynthia you are most definitely not alone! I’m a 20 year old Indigo and am having a hard time finding a fulfilling path in our society. I have always had strong intuition and even sometimes premonitions that always came true. If i walk into a crowded place like a party or restaurant i get easily overwhelmed by literally feeling the emotions and energy of others. then i am usually exhausted afterward especially if i have been around negative energy. I feel an extreme connection with animals and all living things, Indigos are highly intelligent old souls who have incarnated at this time to raise the vibrations on earth and help through this transformation. I have not attended college yet even though i am fully capable . I resist because i feel i was born with all of the tools and gifts needed to carry out my lifes work and heal others..but in our society we need a “degree”…education is wonderful, but the system is hard for some Indigos to cope with, the whole american dream is often not what we truly want. I have found that meditating has helped and trying to live each day in love and light. We are all very special souls! pray to your spirit guides for guidance, and don’t ever doubt yourself!

4 AlanzEyes September 9, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I really didn’t start finding my path until I reached my 40’s (I’m turning 45 in a couple months), but I know that for most of my adult life I didn’t know what I wanted to do. I didn’t even know anything about Indigo until just this past year or so. I wish that I knew in my 20’s! So I’m envious of those of you in your 20’s who are just now understanding that there just might be meaning to your life and the experiences and feelings you’re having. Your future is going to be amazing!

Cynthia – experiencing life crises means you’re on the wrong path, and they’re helping you change your direction to get back on the right path. Follow those choices that take you in a direction that feels loving and spiritual. Avoid those choices that takes you in directions that you think other people want. Too many people chase experiences that they think will earn them respect or appreciation, but disregard their own inner truth. Follow your heart’s desires and your path will become clearer.

Annie – you’re understanding what being Indigo is all about. It’s helping others get through their life. That’s what we do. You’re doing it! Fantastic. 🙂 I’ve also avoided college and courses throughout my adult life, because I feel there’s nothing better than actually doing it, rather than just learning how to do it. I find most of what’s taught as irrelevant to what I want to learn, and the best way for me to learn is to just start doing what I want to learn about.

Thank you both for your comments here. I hope you hang around, I’m starting an Indigo community soon and you’ll both be welcome to be part of it.

5 Sophie October 13, 2011 at 8:58 am

Hi everyone,

I’ve discovered that I am a 1984 Indigo just today! What a revelation and relief! All my life i’ve wondered why I feel the way I do and why i’m so different than other people…I thought I was going crazy or I had some kind of mental illness but yet, felt very much aware of my actions and my conscience. I’ve always felt like I was here on earth for a reason. It just totally fascinates me and now I can’t help but want to know more about it and figure out what my true purpose is. I truly hope I can get some guidance on this as I’m in the middle of a “mid-life crisis” in the sense that, I don’t know what to do for a job. I’m always changing jobs, never satisfied, get bored, unmotivated, fed up. It’s frustrating because I think to myself “why can’t i just be like other people and suck it up and stick with a job?!”

Anyway, looking forward to hear from you again and learn about this stuff…

good luck to you all 🙂

6 UnderConstruction October 21, 2012 at 10:10 am

I read your story and I can relates lot. 1985 Indigo. I remember being a little girl and always feeling I was supposed to do/be or just exist for something special. I’ve always been intelligent and more mature than anytime my age. I have recently been doing more research after having a psychic identify me as an Indigo, and it all makes so much sense. I currently am struggling with my work situation as well. I feel ungrateful sometimes because I am never content. It’s hard to be patient and have faith that your true reason for being will be known. Any advice?

7 UnderConstruction October 21, 2012 at 10:11 am

Please disregard the grammar, iPhone 😉

8 alanzeyes October 31, 2012 at 9:39 pm

@UnderConstruction  @Sophie Advice? Well, I’m still learning what it all means for myself, but the best advice I can probably give you is to work out what you truly want to do right now, and just start doing it. Keep on doing it, while allowing yourself to change what you’re doing as you think of bigger and better things to do. Following that path will lead you to your destiny 🙂

9 light November 16, 2011 at 4:05 am

Yes actually maybe one off but that’s it exactly. It can be very frustrating for the early part of your entire life until your an adult and can find out about it through the net. If you don’t kill yourself first or become totally fed up and become a hermit. It’s not a nice reality but it happens and those who are able to stick it out do have a chance to find out what will work for them and what things they can’t put up with. Great post. Lots of love.

10 klassylady2006 July 31, 2012 at 10:49 am

Cant any one of these apply to everyone?

11 ThinkWisely July 31, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Hi @klassylady2006 yes, any one can apply to anyone and everyone. But not all of them can apply to everyone… You’re likely an Indigo if more than 22 of them apply to you, not just more than one.

12 Livefree27 October 11, 2012 at 12:00 pm

out of the whole list two or 3 of the following traits I don’t have, I suppose I’m an Indigo person…

13 alanzeyes October 31, 2012 at 9:34 pm

@Livefree27 welcome to the club 🙂

14 meeeeandmyself44 October 31, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Uhm hi; knew friend on facebook introduced me to the term, “Indigo Children” born in 77; and relate to a lot of the above…….and I wonder if I passes these traits to my son.  This is day two of google trying to wrap my mind around all of this; I’m a bit surprised list so familiar; happy I’m not alone but it’s going to take a while to sink in,

15 alanzeyes October 31, 2012 at 9:35 pm

@meeeeandmyself44 hi there! What makes you think you’ve passed the traits on to your son?

16 Debraj December 1, 2012 at 3:45 pm

The strangest ( there are no coincidences) thing happened to me at theboom store about a month ago. I was looking in my favorite section, New Age, and a,beautiful blue book was staring st me from the shelf, literally. It was ‘Indigo Adults’. Itwas right at my eye level and seemes to be inwardly calling me. I read for a while, the did some research online on Indigos. I felt relieved, as I seemed to find some answers for my lifelong condition. I only answered no to a few questions onthe test, andbelieve I am an Indigo adult. I was born in 1969. I have open minded friends into pagan religions, new age concepts,etc, yet, most of them don’twant to hear about Indigo. I dont understand that. I had been doing a meditation to help me find my destiny path, I had a feeling of time running out. Then all of this then some happened. I am way confused about these developments mentally, but in my heart, I feel intrigued, and like found some answers to many questions.
I am interested in raising my own vibration, so I can be helpful to others. I am also a recovering addict, with 3 1/2 yrs clean, and the recovery programs I have been involved inthe last few years have taught me spiritual principles tha raise my vibration. I see how things have fallen into place just as they should, yet I struggle with self dobt and fear. Working on it.
Well, thanx for listening, and I hope to get to know you. Just a shout out from a fellow traveler, trying to love & understand.

17 toninj71 December 6, 2012 at 6:25 am

18 toninj71 December 6, 2012 at 6:25 am

Wow this explains alot my kids and I have encountered all but #26, it’s nice to see that we aren’t losing our minds. I always felt like I was here for a reason but never knew what that purpose out reason was, and now I think I know so it’s time to get myself grounded and build up my energy, I’ve wasted do much time in depression over my purpose and why my kids and I all feel like we don’t fit in anywhere outside of our home. Thank you for this article

19 eternalcosma May 28, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Cynthia, I am exactly like you. And since I became an adult I’ve been constantly trying to figure out what to do with my life. I feel trapped in this world and slowly going crazy.

20 alanzeyes May 28, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Thank you for your discussion, everyone. I appreciate it. Please continue the discussion over on my new blog, where I’ve updated the post. This blog is inactive, so I would really appreciate it if you can click on the link in the red text above, and add further comments to the new blog where I’ve continued this. Many thanks!

21 alanzeyes May 28, 2013 at 11:09 pm

@eternalcosma please contact me to discuss. You don’t need to go crazy 🙂

22 PunkinFry June 1, 2013 at 12:07 am

tsk tsk.. very poor internet etiquette. never call a stranger (especially one showing enthusiasm for your article) on the net crazy – good luck

23 alanzeyes June 1, 2013 at 8:36 am

@PunkinFry if you read the comment, they felt like they were going crazy 😛

24 PunkinFry May 29, 2013 at 5:35 am

very indigo here!!

25 Whatisgoinon May 31, 2013 at 7:21 am

A friend told me the a couple of weeks ago They felt I was Indigo, and should take the test. All twenty six apply, including # 22. Street lights got out when I walk by, watches malfunction, anything electrical, does not last long. I have even had the electrical system of a truck I owned bust into flames as I was driving it on the freeway. I had to drive it for 2 to 3 miles, with flames and smoke rolling out from under the dash board. to get it on to the off ramp. I When I was in my twenties, I was hit by electrical induction while building power line, which reversed the polarity of my heart, and messed it up. A year later I was in another freak accident, This time I was hit with 12,500 volts to ground, which stopped my heart, I was dead for about 5 to 10 min before I was brought around by CPR, which reversed the polarity of my heart back to normal. I just thought electricity hated me 🙂 I have also had weird experiences with time dilation. I have been in numerous instances where my life has been in danger, serious motor cycle, and car accidents, I have witnessed time slow down to picture frames, slowly passing, seeming like a minutes pass between frames, giving me all the time to decide, and chose the best ejection point from the accident, and I’m still here. All other 25 of the questions describe my life from birth to my age now of 48.I barely made it thru high school. Teachers let me pass cause they didn’t want me back. Had kids,  went to college later in my life to be a history teacher, realized it was all bull shit. My marriage failed, Then I left for Alaska, where I have been for the last ten years. I’m happy here, my kids migrated up here and work with me. But I still feel lost In this world.

26 alanzeyes May 31, 2013 at 7:22 am

@Whatisgoinon did you not read the red text above? 🙂

27 QuanDiesel June 9, 2013 at 3:59 am

I’m an indigo adult.. Lost and confused as ever..but recently had found out what is an Indigo.

28 Babyb July 7, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I am an indigo, big rage problems, especially when lied to or people trying to manipulate me or others i see BLOOD! I hate Things being unfair and i only dream about cleaness in Hearts and the World (no poor people or no animal suffering) Im not materialistic actually i dont care about materialistic shit im just wearing what everybody Wears so i wont look totally like a freak.. Im really an odd person, and people dont understand me.. But i think they are not reaching a WHOLE level, i believe everybody can do this if we just open our minds and Hearts and tries to block out the Word weirdness. Btw i was born knowing there is a GOD 🙂 And i love him.. I chose Islam.